Saturday, April 4, 2015

Dum de dum dum.....Presenting the letter "D" and DREAD



I was happily amidst a group of middle schoolers, all working hard on doing improvs or watching their friends do improvs when I had a comment on the work. As I began to speak my coaching piece, one of the girls interrupted with:

"Dum de dum dum.....!"

We all laughed.  No, there was no terror to be gotten from my statements but the drama of the lead in was enough to change the mood and start us on a path of ghostly improvs.

Dread sends adrenaline coursing through our bodies. Dread imbues stories with urgency.  Dread is the ingredient that addicts us to "The X Files", Rod Serling's shows, Hitchcock's movies, zombies, vampires, ghosts.  What if it REALLY did happen? What would I do?  How would I react?  Would I survive?

Walk into a room and sing out the phrase, "Dum de dum dum...." and watch everyone get silent, or worried. What power dread has over our lives.

I have been following the blog, Storytelling Matters.  There's lots of dread there!  Watch out!

Dum de dum dum.....

6 comments:

  1. What fun! Those kids are lucky to work with someone who is so responsive to them! I've done improv with middle schoolers, and I like to tell them to "Just say 'Yes' to whatever happens." I feel like your response to the girl who hummed the eerie music was a resounding "YES!" I'll bet everyone was encouraged to keep participating after that. I will look for a good opportunity to see what will happen when I enter a room humming, "Dum de dum dumm..." But mostly, I will carry away from this post your beautiful example of affirming others. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU!

      I love the "yes, and..." of improvisations, and I use it everywhere these days. These kids do too...I came in after being stuck on a bus once and they were teaching a new girl the "yes, and..." instructions of improv. So cool!

      Do you have a blog I can check out?

      Delete
  2. Awww thanks for the blog plug.... but I can't believe you are writing about this word. Loren Niemi used it in a chat last week with me.....did you go to his workshop? I missed it. So.... I have been thinking about that word..... you are Miss Responsive, of course you shifted gears for the middle schoolers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the "D" word of dread!

      I did not go to his workshop, but I will at Northlands. I am, as you are, totally immersed in and mesmerized by ghosts and dreadsss.

      Delete
  3. "Dum de dum dum" can bring a smile and a laugh instead of dread, but you're right about the power of dread. What's the onomatopoeia for "the Jaws music"? Reading your story reminded me of how Storywonk says that the jaws music should start on page 1 of the book...

    Visit me at http://chriskelworth.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      And I agree about Jaws and with Storywonk.

      Now, I am of to check out yOUR blog.

      Delete