Wednesday, April 6, 2016

E is for EAST MEETS WEST

   is for EAST MEETS WEST


What did I expect when I went to China? 

A little bit - I imagined Red Guards on the streets, and Maoist sayings on the walls - a time capsule set to the Cultural Revolution and after.  What I did not predict was what is there -  modern cities with the most enormous glass walled malls with every world brand advertised in shops and on billboards.  

And the mix of the old with the new. Small buildings next to cranes building huge ones.  Scooters racing down small lanes and large streets. Cleanliness and order amongst the chaos.  

An ancient civilization in modern clothes. And I, a traveller, am there to experience it.

East meets West.
The West comes to the East and is warmly welcomed.


Sign in a bilingual school.

.

3 comments:

  1. Off the topic a bit, but I love your header picture!
    Paula from
    Smidgen, Snippets, & Bits

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos...on the Great Wall Of China - that is definitely cool!!
    I'm amazed to see a library built from steel, glass and sticks - what a combination! Seems you had quite a dumpling feast.
    Participating with a friend as partners, and doing the A to Z Challenge side by side, is a wonderful and unique idea!
    Happy A to Z'ing!
    Nice to meet you via the challenge.
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the title of your blog, it made me think of my Canadian uncle and the way he pronounced ZBT powder and Z in general. I too love the header photo. I didn't see the building nestled there at first. Finding Eliza

    ReplyDelete