Friday, April 8, 2016

G is for GREAT WALL OF CHINA

  is for GREAT WALL OF CHINA


Getting to the  Great Wall of China  was a schlep from Beijing, which was almost enough to make me decide not to go. But, Sonia and I met some young storytellers at The Hutong who were willing to organize a car and driver and take me to the Wall. Thank goodness! It would have been a mistake to have missed such a remarkable experience.

Sven and Cas were wonderful guides, and the section of the wall they took me to was up in the mountains and away from the touristy and rebuilt sections. They called it the "wild wall" and indeed it was wild.  We had to clamber up over some rocks and Sven pulled me (as Cass pushed me) up onto the Wall. 

And there we were, part of a long history on the long and magical wall.



A view of the mountains



First view, in the car


On the Great Wall


Cas and Sven












Looking down on the valley from the Wall



Some contradictions in signage!



Don't  forget to check out Sonia's blog on the Great Wall at Writtenselfie.blogspot.com.



3 comments:

  1. Okay. THIS is the Great Wall of China I would love to visit. Your photos are glorious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a glorious day! Crisp cold air, beautiful views.

      Delete
  2. I think I'd take one look at all the steps and give up right away. Grea to do it in a quiet spot.

    ReplyDelete