Friday, April 15, 2016

L is for Lodgings

   is for Lodgings


I do not usually look for fancy digs when I am traveling, though I do appreciate any luxuries offered.  My rooms in China were mixed in terms of luxury, but all rather sweet.

The first place I stayed, at the Rayfont in Shanghai, looked out over the city through smudged windows with views of buildings, construction, more construction and smog -  a typical sight, I was told. The bed was comfortable, we were given slippers and combs and toothbrushes, and I had an electric kettle for my morning tea - though usually I would go over to Sonia's for the great coffee she made each morning with her Aerobie AeroPress.  My room was clean - in Sonia's room there was a small pile of coffee that never got swept up until she finally asked someone to vacuum it.  So much for house cleaning!  We went downstairs to a lobby always stale with cigarette smoke (there were always young men smoking) and out to the bright world.  

Shanghai digs



Sonia warned me that the next hotel, in Wuxi, we went to would ruin all the others for me...and she was nearly right! It was a British high end chain and our "room" was a small suite - with two TVs, cozy bathrobes, great toiletries, the best shower I have ever used! and a big bed. There was a complete kitchen, and it was bigger than my first NY apartment!  The views were of a highway and some construction.  Oh...they also had a sauna and a gym. In Wuxi, I began watching some of the Chinese TV dramas which played well on those enormous TVs.

View from my Wuxi Window



My favorite place was in Shenzhen. It was a series of courtyard buildings that apparently had, not so long ago, been a place for prostitution. By the time I arrived, it was a lovely space with a cafe and lots of flowers and trees and a resident cat. Shenzhen is in a tropical zone, so the air was mostly balmy and the flowers thrived. A few mornings, before we went out, I took out my guitar and played on my little porch. Sonia and I would meet at another table in the courtyards for coffee and planning time.  

Shenzhen "villa"

Sonia is silly

Amongst the flowers

Cat on a mission

Beijing was another out of the way place - the Yoyo Hotel.It was off in one of the "alleys' of Beijing and felt almost like a secret. But in fact it was in the center of the bar nightlife!  I had a room with a shower and toilet in a glassed off area. Customer service was not great - I had nowhere to hang clothes and the one knob on which to hang the three or four hangers kept falling down! But the room was comfortable, I had my tea kettle and the bed was great. There was a spa downstairs that I kept thinking I would get to...but I was always too interested in doing something else - so I never got to it. In the area were some great restaurants, little shops, and interesting sights to see.

YoYo Hotel



Our last stop in Shanghai was at a place that rented out small apartments. Very small.  There was an office area in a loft, a small kitchen, a washing machine!!!, and a bed that was hard. I slept well, even though there was a lot of traffic noise outside my window. I felt right at home - kinda reminded me of NYC.


Don't forget to check out what Sonia has to say on this topic. writtenselfie.blogspot.com











No comments:

Post a Comment